One of the options for my place is my Nana and Papas house in Nelson County. They have a lot of land out there and I am sure I can dig up some interesting information about the history there. They have a little pond behind their home that is really overgrown yet a calming and peaceful place. They also have an old barn that I know has been around for a long time. My grandparents allow people to keep their horses on the land because it is such a large space for them to roam. Every since I can remember I have been going out to the farm for holidays, family functions, etc. My mom even built a small house on their land for our family. We do not live there anymore but we still visit my grandparents reguraly. A story I already know about this place it that around fifty years ago the previous owners used to have two large mill towers. The family had many sons who took care of the farm. One of this sons acutally died in the mill after falling into a machine. My cousins would always joke that the barn and house were haunted by the young boy.
Another place I am considering is Big Rock in Cherokee park. There is this huge boulder that has fallen into the center of a steam in the park. This place requires a little adventure to get to it. Once you finally make it on top of the rock a feeling of accomplisment runs through you. That is one of the main reasons I like this place so much. This certain place is in the middle of the park. Being there makes you temporarily forget that you are in the hussle and bussle of Louisville. Sometimes people even jump off the rock into the water. Ive personally jumped off big rock. It was exciting and the water was cool.
Both sound really good. My one concern about Nelson County is that you will need to be able to visit a minimum of once a week and the fact that you don't live there. I don't want to say you cannot do this, but I want you to think about if it is feasible. There are a lot of interesting stories that can come out of Nelson County and I think that would be fascinating.
ReplyDelete