The special place I have chosen is Big Rock in Cherokee park. There is a big boulder in the middle of the park that has fallen off and is in the center of a flowing stream. Being at this spot makes you feel as if you are in the middle of a forest. It makes you forget that only five minutes away lies the hustle and bustle of a city called Louisville. I have personally lived in Louisville for the past 8 years. And while Louisville is nowhere close to the size of Atlanta, it sure is bigger than little old Bardstown, Kentucky where I am originally from. That is why I love going to Cherokee park. It reminds me of being at home, living right next to my Nana and Papa on a huge farm. Out there it is so peaceful and I get the same vibe at Cherokee park. The entire park is beautiful. It is definitely a turn your radio up, lay your hand out the window, and just sit back and relax type of place.
I was excited when I went to my place. It was around 8:30 P.M. and the sun was coming down and causing it to be cool for the first time all day. I sprayed myself with a shield of bug spray. Around here the mosquitoes are going to be of abundance. I get mosquitoes bites very easily so the bug spray was seriously needed. I started on the dirt path to Big Rock. The trees acted as a roof over the trail. The path to big rock is a pretty decent hike. It’s not so much far as it is adventurous. You have to climb uphill and downhill and the path is curvy. There is also a part where you have to walk across a rock wall with a skinny ledge. It’s not a dangerous path, but you just need to be cautious. I sometimes like to walk with my shoes off. Usually because I know I will end up walking through the stream at some point. Halfway down the path you come across a huge chunk of rock that has broken off and is now a mini island in the water. When you reach the top of the rock you are in the middle of the stream. On the other side of the brook is a yellow rope attached to a tree. You can swing from the rope into the water. This is the deepest part of the stream. It is at this point where the stream reaches 4 feet deep and creates a perfect pool for those unbearable humid days.
One emotion I feel while at my place is that of being at peace. How can anyone not feel at peace in such a scenic place? Water runs slowly down the stream and the sound becomes therapeutic. I could honestly sit here all day and just listen to the various sounds of nature. All the trees and plants are vibrantly green. The sky looks as if Picasso painted it himself. For me summer skies are the prettiest skies. When the sun is coming down you can see an array of colors such as blue, purple, and pink. If only a camera could catch the true beauty of what the sky portrays. This place acts as a bubble fighting off the worries of the outside world. There is no war here. No rich or poor. It is just nature, pure and simple. I close my eyes and let the light breeze form a smile on my face. This is a great place for meditation. I can think more clearly here and my thoughts take on a more positive attitude. As I walk to my place I am with my older brother Brian. He loves being outside just like me, and has been to big rock a few times himself. Being the big brother he is he naturally takes the lead on the path. He moves quickly and I break a sweat trying to keep up with his energetic steps. This moment takes me back to when we were kids running around without a care in the world. We would always race each other and I was never quite as fast as he was, even though I tried my hardest. He climbs effortlessly taking in the scenery around him. I laugh when he fumbles over a root sticking up from the ground. When walking downhill the roots act as handle bars to keep from slipping. Brian sneezes and I remember how lucky I am that I didn’t get the “I’m allergic to everything” genes. Halfway through the path I take my flip-flops off. For me it’s easier to go barefoot. I love the feel of soft soil under my feet. Being barefoot requires me to be a bit more cautious on the trail. A decent amount of people walk through Cherokees paths so I need to be careful not to step on any broken glass. Usually the path is clean enough to where I do not need to worry too much. As we reach the rock I see a smile flash on my brothers face. We both feel a sense of accomplishment as if we discovered a hidden jewel or the fact that we managed to make it here without falling on our face. We climb up on top of the rock. A quote such as “I’m king of the world” is completely appropriate in a place like this. While six feet above the water does not seem very high a thrill jumps through your veins as you lean over the ledge. The night starts to pull her blanket over the park as we make our way back through the path. Climbing barefoot in the dark is no easy task but I am having a blast. I just wish I came earlier in the day. I love this place.


I enjoy how you describe the way Big Rock makes you think of being in the country and back home. There is a clear emotional pull there, which I think you bring out. I can also see/hear you and your brother on the path, which is a good sign of descriptive language.
ReplyDelete